Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Off to Amsterdam

Currently sitting at Boston Logan airport with my friend Erin, preparing for our grand Dutch adventure. We're headed to Philadelphia, then Dublin, and then, finally, Amsterdam.

We'll be studying International Human Rights Tribunals; in particular, I will be studying the Jean-Pierre Bemba trial and the Thomas Lubanga trial. The Lubanga trial is currently on hold, so I'll be primarily at the Bemba trials, although I'll also have the opportunity to see trials at the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia and the International Court of Justice.

Das Nederlands... it's going to be interesting. And intense. I'm going in large part because I want to know if international justice is something I want to pursue. Is it an effective form of preventing genocide and mass atrocities from occurring? What is keeping the proceedings going so slow? Are they targeting the right people? Is it fulfilling is ultimate goal of accountability for governments worldwide?

Big questions. And I have a lot of them. And honestly, I don't expect to get them answered--no one can answer them; international law is just too new to know much of this yet.

Well, cheers to a safe journey, new friends, and tourist adventures!

-Mac

No comments:

Post a Comment