Sunday, January 9, 2011

Den Haag!

Today was a travel day again. Before heading to Den Haag, we went on a canal tour. We were in this houseboat-type boat, and got to see Amsterdam from the water, which is entirely different from seeing it on foot. It brings you back to what you’d imagine the old days in Amsterdam were like—before the cars, bikes, and trams. When getting around the city was either by walking or taking the canal. Amazingly old city. It’s interesting to look at these things kind of the way natives do—how their history is so embedded in their culture and language.

Then we went off for lunch. I went with Esther, Eje, and Noor to this wok place where we got noodle bowls. Then, we went to the waffle stand and got these doughnut-like balls of fried dough with cream down the middle. So good. I forget what they’re called, but it has the word ‘poof’ in it, whatever it is. I’ll definitely post the photos when I get home. I’m also kind of food blogging my way through this trip.

Then, we headed back to the hostel to meet Flavio and leave for Den Haag. It was a relatively quick trip. We took the tram to the train station at Lelylan where we took a train to the airport and then another to Das Haag. It was literally like 20 minutes from the airport in Amsterdam to Das Haag, which looks so far on a map. We zoomed past farms and provincial landscapes, further reminding us of the differences between our countries, and then arrived in Das Haag where we retired to the hostel. And here I am!

I’m going to the International Criminal Court tomorrow for our orientation to the cases and courts, and then have class with Flavio before getting a walking tour of the city. We definitely want to check out the coffeeshops and bar scene here.

I’m really excited, but nervous, to view the Bemba trial. I’ll probably blog about this later, but for now I am incredibly tired and must head to bed soon, as we need to be out of the hostel by 9 at the latest.

Hope y’all are well!
Mac

1 comment:

  1. Sounds amazing, Mac! I'm so happy you've gotten to do so much exploring. I'm excited (yet nervous) about you getting to see the Bemba trial, too: I wish I were there with you! PS, got your letter and CD. THANK YOU <3<3<3<3<3<3

    ReplyDelete